A beverage sold at Systembolaget goes through several different steps before it makes it to a shelf at our store. Simplified, the chain look like this:
- The crop is grown on a farm – grapes for wine, grain for beer, potatoes and sugar for spirits.
- the producer of the beverage is a winery, a brewery or a distillery. Here the crop is refined into a beverage. Many producers also own farms.
- The producer obtains packaging (bottles, boxes, cans) and seals (corks and caps) from subcontractors.
- The drink is transported to Sweden. The buyer is not Systembolaget, but rather our supplier. Sometimes the producer and the supplier is the same company, for example large brewing companies.
- Our supplier has an agreement with Systembolaget and makes sure that the beverage arrives at the stores.
There is a chain like this for each beverage. When you consider that you can buy around 19,000 beverages from almost 100 countries at Systembolaget, it is clear that a vast number of people, working at thousands of farms and production facilities, are involved along the way.